Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Taste Testing Books

I finished The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, by N.K. Jemisin, yesterday, so of course it's time to taste test some books to see what sticks next.

On the tasting menu:

Sex Object: A Memoir by Jessica Valenti is one of those books that's been swirling around my head for a while. I caught it steeply discounted on Amazon a while back, so I snapped it up. I started this one while lying in bed last night, and I read until I dozed off and dropped the phone on my face. Good sign!

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman came in a Christmas in June package from my dear Heather. I dipped into it for a few minutes after finishing the Jemisin novel, but my eyes were shot from reading on my phone all of yesterday. Luckily, I gave it some more time this afternoon, and I'm already 31 pages in (of 79). This little novella is a given. Also, it made me tear up (the first time) at page 11.

The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore is another perfect fit since I'm still basking in the afterglow of seeing Wonder Woman last Friday. I've had an ARC copy of this on my TBR forever, but it wasn't clicking on the page, so I'm trying the audio version. So far, so good!

What are you trying out right now? 


8 comments:

  1. I listened to the audio of the Wonder Woman book. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I want to read The Secret History of Wonder Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a wish list at my library Overdrive page. I put a lot on hold. Almost every day, something pops up. I don't even have to leave the house, I can read it or not, and it's free.

    Plus my 98 pounds of books from BookExpo are due to arrive from NYC today....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had loved Secret History of Wonder Woman, but I didn't. I need o read more NK Jemisin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taste testing...I feel like I've been doing that the entire month of June! I'll check out the Backman...I'm giving him another chance after Beartown (I DNF'd Ove, so hadn't tried him in awhile).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really loved Sex Object. I have been on a bit of a feminist (and hopefully also parent) memoir kick in the last year, and this is one of the best I've found.

    I'm currently reading The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. I had felt a bit eye rolly about the concept (killer sea horses, in a killer sea horse race), but it has really hooked me into the story and the characters so far. I'm reading a bunch of other things as well, but that is the main one worth mentioning. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Backman is a real conundrum for me. I absolutely loved A Man Called Ove (4/4) but couldn't get through My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry (stopped at 125). I haven't tried anything else yet. I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not much of a taste tester. Sometimes at the bookstore I will read the first line and if it grabs me, then I will read it but most of my reading is driver by want and ARCs. Once I start I usually commit to finishing unless it's God-awful or the publisher cheated me into thinking it was one thing and it was something else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik