Wednesday, August 30, 2017

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril XII (#ripxii) SIGN UPS!

Every September 1 through October 31 for the last 11 years Carl from Stainless Steel Droppings has hosted the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge, affectionately known as the R.I.P. Challenge. Carl has been kind enough to entrust the event to us, Heather and Andi, from now on, and we hope to do him proud. We know all of you readers will!
The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:
Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
The emphasis is never on the word challenge, instead it is about coming together as a community and embracing the autumnal mood, whether the weather is cooperative where you live or not.

There are two simple goals for the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI Challenge:
1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.
As we do each and every year, there are multiple levels of participation (Perils) that allow you to be a part of R.I.P. XII without adding the burden of another commitment to your already busy lives. There is even a one book only option for those who feel that this sort of reading is not their cup of tea (or who have many other commitments) but want to participate all the same.
Multiple perils await you. You can participate in just one, or participate in them all.
Peril the First:
Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (our very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Shirley Jackson or Tananarive Due…or anyone in between.
Peril the Second:
Read two books of any length that you believe fit within the challenge categories.
Peril the Third:
We all want you to participate. This Peril involves reading one book that fits within the R.I.P. definition.
Peril of the Short Story:
We are fans of short stories and our desire for them is perhaps no greater than in autumn. We see Jackson in our future for sure! You can read short stories any time during the challenge. We sometimes like to read short stories over the weekend and post about them around that time. Feel free to do this however you want, but if you review short stories on your site, please link to those reviews on our RIPXII Book Review pages.
Peril on the Screen:
This is for those of us who like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows, or your favorite film. If you are so inclined, please post links to any R.I.P.-related viewing you do on our book review pages as well.
Peril of the Group Read:
This year we will read and discuss Slade House by David Mitchell! We plan to post discussion questions on October 1 on our respective blogs, and you can answer them at your leisure, and as you like! If you post on your blog, link up. If you post on Twitter, Insta, etc. use #ripxii.
In addition to, or instead of, these group read options you may want to host your own. That would be welcome too and if you choose to do so please let us know so that we can advertise them for you.
Again, you may participate in one or all of the various Perils. Our one demand: enjoy yourself!
The R.I.P. XII Challenge does not require you to read from a pre-selected list of books, but like many of you we love to get ideas from what others are thinking of reading. If you want to include a pool of potential reads when you sign up, either in the comments or on your own sign up post on your blog (not required for participation), please do!
This challenge is always a joy because of one thing: you! You sharing your passion for books, reading, films, television, etc. helps bring us together and ensures that we all have a great time. Thank each and every one of you who choose to participate on any level. We are honored that you would choose to do so.
Remember that we would love to read any reviews of the books you read or things you watch. Simply visit estellasrevenge.net OR mycapriciouslife.com and look for the RIP Review PAGE and leave a link to your post. These challenges are a great way to make new friends by tempting them to come to your site to read your reviews.
Do not let circumstances fool you. Autumn is here in spirit. It is R.I.P. XII time.
And so it begins…

SIGN UP HERE!

51 comments:

  1. Putting the finishing touches on my post right now. You know I live for RIP season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy! So glad you're in, Kristen!

      Delete
  2. Huzzah! This year feels like the right year for me to join in again. Will have to get a post together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! Glad to have you!

      Delete
  3. Oh yay! I didn't know you guys were hosting this year. And David Mitchell, double yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a verrrryyyy last minute thing. lol But we are so thrilled to be able to carry it forward! I've never read Mitchell, so I'm especially excited to try Slade House (and on audio!).

      Delete
  4. Getting my post together now. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyyy! Can't wait to see your pile!

      Delete
  5. Just signed up. I love me some thrillers. I'm going for Peril the First.
    I already have I See You and The Doll House in my tbr for September, those will fit right in here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! We're so glad to have you, Irene!

      Delete
  6. I'm in. Here is my sign up post:
    http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2017/08/readers-imbibing-peril-xii.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for being with us, Jamie!

      Delete
  7. Great! So glad there is going to be another R.I.P. event this year! I'll get my provisional list together and post a link here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Provisional list below! I'll probably read more as mystery is one of my favourite genres!

    https://histerasy.tumblr.com/post/164829380552/ripxii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! I love that you call it a provisional list. :D

      Delete
  9. I can't get the link to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the direct link, Colleen! https://www.blenza.com/linkies/links.php?owner=estellasrevenge&postid=30Aug2017&meme=

      Delete
  10. My favorite time of the year! And I've been wanting to read Slade House. Can't wait for some spooky reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna be so much fun!

      Delete
  11. I love R.I.P. and am so glad it's back again this year! I have signed up for Peril the First and can't wait to get started. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already digging in. I"m in a shorty story mood which is nice because they're so quick! lol

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad y'all are carrying on the tradition of this challenge! I will be back tomorrow to link up my post. Thanks! (and thanks to lethe for leaving a comment at Carl's, directing us here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kelly :)

      Like you, I was looking forward to R.I.P., so I was very happy to find its new home.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for leaving the comment, lethe! Welcome aboard to both of you!

      Delete
  13. Signing up for the first time! Really looking forward to it! But I don't blog. So I just linked to a Litsy post. I'm there as @Leniverse
    But when I checked my link, I realised that Litsy posts really aren't optimal to view outside of the app. My linked books don't appear! At any rate, chuffed to be here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining us, Leni!!! That's my only personal issue with Litsy...they need a web interface. That's a large reason I use Instagram more for now. We'll see how it shakes out. I'm glad you're here in any capacity!

      Delete
  14. Awesome! I always look forward to this challenge. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like fun! And it's two months long?! ❤

    I signed up! Happy Reading, Everyone! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was literally looking for this today and was sad because there was nothing...now, it's here, so thank you!!

    I am not sure which peril I will choose, but I want to read some Lovecraft stories, Dracula...and that's all I know now! I'll do a link post next week.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This challenge is one of the reasons I love this time of year! Thanks again for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting! I always look forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in for another round--thanks for hosting! I've linked up my sign-up post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay, so excited to have found this!! I've been doing horrible with challenges and readathons lately, but this looks so fun!! :D Sign me up!

    Bemused Bookworm
    http://www.bemusedbookworm.com/ripxii-r-eaders-mbibing-p-eril-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hurrah! So glad this is carrying on as I love taking part - even if I don't always end up reading even half of the books I put together...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking forward to this year's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this event and I am so pleased it is back again this year. I am working on my sign up post now and I have my first book already lined up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So friggin' happy fall is in the air and that you and Heather are keeping this challenge/reading event going. It's alive! I've been playing around with my pile and this is how its shaping up: https://wildmoobooks.com/2017/09/04/r-i-p-challenge-ripxii/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay!!! It can't be killed! It just keeps coming back like a horror movie villain.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This will be my first time participating and I'm so stoked!
    http://armchairamusements.com/my-first-ever-r-…p-eril-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  27. As always, am in. Instagram though, not on Blogger.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BYk-tGEB-mt/?hl=en&taken-by=iamlightheaded

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello there. This is my first time, too. I was directed here via Carl's recent post. Looking forward to reading some chilling tales as the nights close in.

    https://biginjapangrayman.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/ripxii-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have 10 mysteries that I am setting aside for October. No way I will read even half of that pile, but I am looking forward to RIPping into mysteries in October.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Woohoo! I am so excited for this! Thank y'all for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for hosting! I just put up my post--a little late, but who's counting?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad to see this challenge again. It's just not Fall without it! Looking forward to joining.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Eeeep I'm super late, but so excited! Thanks you two for continuing the challenge, it's one of my faves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds like a lot of fun, and I have a bunch of books on ghosts and ghost hunting that need to be read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I had trouble finding this year's location, but I've already started my reading. I don't have my blog anymore, so I'll have to use my Goodreads page, I guess. I love RIP! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  36. FINALLY getting to write my sign-up post. Very excited to participate again (this is my second year.) I'm doing Peril The Second. Thanks for hosting! -Laila @ Big Reading Life

    ReplyDelete
  37. Took me a bit to get ready, but I'm all onboard for the challenge now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik